My journey began on October 8, 2011 when I was given the job as Mrs. Virginia International 2012. What a journey it has been. The many opportunities which have allowed me to speak about my platform Take a Stand B.R.A.V.E. (Be yourself, Resist the bullying, Achieve your best, Value your future, Encourage others) along with being the national spokesperson for SAVE (Students Against Violence Everywhere). I have seen a difference among our youth and schools after I visit. I hear how they have started programs against bullying/cyber bullying, mentor programs, and or bullying task force. I truly see that my family and our efforts are making a difference in the lives of our youth and that is the destination for my journey.

“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.”

~Harvey Firestone






Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rotary Conference (March)
















As Mrs. Virginia International I get opportunities to   speak to students (1,500 thus far) on my platform "Take a Stand B.R.A.V.E. and SAVE. 


This particular weekend I had 255 Interact Club students who were wonderful and thrilled I was there to talk about the pervasive problem among our youth- Bullying/Cyber Bullying.  

John Handley Interact Club officers.
front right Brandon (black shirt) and front left (grey dress) Elisha, hold a special place in my heart. Brandon (Holder) was bullied as a kid and came to me a few months back asking if I could help him start his own bullying prevention program. He came up with "Holder's Heroes". I'm proud to say today that program is working and very successful. 
 














This is why we do what we do- "Make a Difference" in the lives of our youth so that they can pay it forward and leave there own legacy behind. I'm just humbled that I was able to have a small part in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment